Chat Based Gaming
Main Page >> Chat Based Gaming
WHAT YOU NEED1) Hamachi.
Choose the “non-commercial license” when you install & run this program. Go through the tutorial thing until it gets to the point where it tells you to join “test” with the password “secret.” Instead, join network “ThresholdGame” and I’ll send you the password.
MapTool requires a recent version of Java to function, so you may have to install that first.
Once MapTool is up & running, under the “File” menu, choose “Connect to Server.”
On the pop-up that appears, choose the third tab, “Direct.” Here’s what you need to type in:
- User Name: Use your character’s name
- Password: I’ll send it to you
- Role: Player
- Address: 188.8.131.52 (this is my Hamachi address)
- Port: 51234
If you’ve entered everything correctly, you’ll log into the Threshold server (which is only running during session hours, just so you know).
HOW WE PLAY(taken from the Cold Blood wiki) Playing D&D in a chat-based environment requires a few tricks.
We usually ‘get together’ in an AIM chat room, or in Yahoo! if AIM is flaky that night. Players should set up accounts for both services; Trillian is a free program that provides access to both services (and more).The DM puts descriptive text in bold:
- Darth Krzysztof > Your footsteps echo throughout the Mortuary’s entrance hall, and its pervasive cold makes you shiver.
If there’s a big brick of text, along with a map or illustration, I’ll try to just e-mail it to you during the game.Anything your character attempts gets an * asterisk on either side:
- Jennifer > * Sheen braces her longspear and waits for a charge. *
- mpw > * Talan searches for secret doors. *
- Darth Krzysztof > Joris: “Do you know where we are? DO YOU?!”
- Jennifer > Sheen whispers to Talan: “Can we trust him?”
- mpw > * Grimacing, Talan draws his blades. * “To the death, then.”
- Darth Krzysztof > * The lemure swings its blobby “arms” at Sheen! *
- Darth Krzysztof > (does 12 hit?)
- Jennifer > (no, AC 17)
- Darth Krzysztof > * But she easily dodges the blow *
- Darth Krzysztof > Toranna: “That’s all I know.”
- mpw > (is she lying?)
- Darth Krzysztof > (roll Sense Motive)
- mpw > (3)
- Darth Krzysztof > (if she is, you can’t tell)
- mpw > (damn) Talan: “I thank you for your time.”
Since we’re not using a battle grid, I don’t want to get hung up on movement-based attacks of opportunity, unless it’s flagrantly obvious that one is called for.
Finally, I trust you to roll your own dice, but if you’d rather “make your rolls in the open,” typing this script in an AIM chat window will generate random numbers:
So, if you need to roll 1d20, type //roll-dice1-sides20. Please note that this won’t work in an IM window, or in Yahoo! Messsenger, just an AIM chat window.